The South Korean manufacturer, Samsung, based out of Suwon has recently launched the all new Samsung Gear 360 VR Camera at the Mobile World Congress 2016, in Barcelona, Spain. It has been a well-discussed product of the brand. Samsung specializes in consumer electronics, telecom equipments and semiconductors.
It is the first of its kind 360-degree virtual reality camera by Samsung. The device was unveiled alongside Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge of Samsung. It has the state of art dual fisheye lens and is capable of capturing 360-degree videos and pictures of up to 30 MP with 3840 x 1920 pixel resolutions. There is a lot to this Gear 360 VR camera. So we bring to you, an in-depth specifications listing of the device.
Samsung Gear 360 VR Camera:
The Samsung Gear 360 looks like a large golf ball and comes with a mini-display on top which provides information regarding the recording status and the battery levels.
The Bluetooth buttons and the navigation buttons which offer more camera controls are on the side of the body. To set up the Gear 360, you just have to download the Samsung Gear 360 Manager app and follow the instructions coming on the display.
If we talk about the Gear 360 camera, it flaunts two 15MP lenses with 3840×1920 pixels resolution, higher than of LG 360’s camera resolution. Gear 360 is also capable of capturing high-resolution videos.
The device also comes packed with Bluetooth, so that you can connect it with your Samsung smartphones, more precisely with the Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge as well as the Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy Note 7.
Samsung Gear 360 VR Feature and Specifications:
- The Gear 360 features the state of the art Dual F2.0 Fisheye lens, as mentioned earlier. It also has dual CMOS 15 MP sensors built in. This helps in high-resolution image capture even in low lighting conditions.
- The 180 degree wide-angle pictures and videos can be capture with the help the one side of the camera lens. When synced with a Galaxy S7 or any other supporting pairing device, it gives a full on 360 x 180 degree view.
- It gives you the possibility to explore using the VR headset or you can play around with the video or images with the help of touchscreen or in a laptop. There are advance settings available like the Sharpness, White Balance, HDR, EV, ISO limit and Wind cut.
- These allow you to customize the image and video settings according to the need. There is a mini PMOLE display of 0.5 inches with 72 x 32 pixels resolution on the camera which shows the current status and settings.
- There are four standard video modes available, such as, Video, Photo, Time-lapse Video and Looping Video modes. The single-lens mode which allows you to record videos like that of the Go Pro action camera.
- In case of video recording, the resolution of the dual camera is up to 3840 x 1920 which is 30 frames per second and the single camera resolution is till 2560 x 1440. It case of image capture, the resolution of the dual camera is till 7776 x 3888 or 30 MP and single camera is up to 3072 x 1728 or 5 MP.
- Currently, the Gear 360 can currently sync with a limited number of Samsung Smartphone with the help of a dedicated application. This helps you to view and save the recording at the same time. Hence you can adjust the focus or camera position according to the need.
- This also allows you to share your images and video directly to social media, adding to the effortlessness and simplicity. The applications are available over Galaxy Apps, Google Play and PC Software which allow the user with more video editing options, hence adding to the versatility of the device.
- The dimension of the product is 66.7 x 56.2 x 60 mm and weighs around 153 grams, inclusive of the battery. It has a dust and water-resistant body with micro SD card slot of up to 128 GB capacity. The battery is rechargeable and detachable. The device will come with a small tripod for hand holding and a standard tripod or mount. The connectivity of the Gear 360 is standard with WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz) and Bluetooth v4.1. There is also provision of WiFi Direct, USB 2.0, NFC, Accelerometer and Gyroscope.
The Samsung Gear 360 VR camera is expected to release among the masses during the second quarter of 2016. The price of the device has yet not been disclosed by the brand. We are sure to update you soon on the same as the time progresses.